Cobalt- chrome/chrome/ metal dentures are an alternative to acrylic (plastic) dentures. Metal dentures have a thin metal base plate or framework that sits on and around natural teeth onto which denture teeth are attached. Stability (not rocking) and retention (grip) come from the framework holding onto your natural teeth.
Advantages of a metal dentures
- most comfortable to wear
- easier to adapt to
- smaller, thinner and more streamlined
- improved retention (grip)
- better chewing / talking experience
- most hygienic
- can use precision attachments to further increase grip
- very strong
Disadvantages of metal dentures
- more expensive than acrylic (plastic) dentures
- difficult to change once finished
- changes to your teeth could affect the fit of the denture
- if altered or bent accidentally, will have to be remade
As with most things in life, there are trade- offs and compromises. A metal denture is not perfect, but if you're having problems with an acrylic (plastic) denture breaking, being too big, or loose a metal denture can be a good alternative.